Castle Hill, in Buda, is devided in two. Its southern half is home to the royal palace, which fell to ruins several times and whose remaining parts can now be seen below today's baroque edifice. The hill's northern half is the former small town of the burghers of Buda. The round southern bastion of the walls enclosing Castle Hill looks down on Gellért Hill, whose citadel was reinforced by the Austrians after the 1848-1849 Hungarian war of independence against the House of Habsburg in order to act as a point of surveillance over the town. The town, which was first destroyed during the siege of 1686 which ended with the recapture of Buda Castle from the Turk, then again during World War II. These days the Castle Hill is rebuilt as a quiet baroque residential district which bears no traces of the seat of the medieval kings of Hungary.
GPS: N47 30.118 E19 02.085