of the Pákozd battle of 29 September 1848 was erected on the Northern extension
of the Velence hill, on Mészeg-hill in 1951. The earlier monument - a column
built in 1889 - stands in the main street of Pákozd. When looking round
from the monument we have a clear view of the battlefield of triangle shape.
The Hungarian armed forces fought their battle in the region of Pákozd,
Pátka and Sukoró, on the Northern side of lake Velence on the slopes and
in the valleys to protect the main road connecting Székesfehévár with Buda,
This Battle brought the first victory to the new army of the 1848-49-year revolution and war of independence against the troops of lieutenant-general Jellasics protecting the interests of the Habsbug Empire against the achievements of the March revolution. The victory took place and demonstrated the power of the Hungarian army in a historical period when the key achievments of the revolution were at risk. Lajos Batthyány the first responsible Hungarian prime minister played a key role in organizing and setting up the army. The victory at Pákozd was both moral and political success, that energized all the battles and fights during the glorious period of the war of independence. This is the reason for between 1951 and 1992 the day of the People's Army was celebrated on 29 September, and later on this day was devoted to the Armed Forces, and most recently the Hungarian Army Day has also been celebrated on this date.
The decision about the battle was made on 28 September 1848 after lengthy debate of the war council held in the protestant church of Sukoró. The hungarian troops were headed by lieutenant-general János Móga, the right wing by liutenant-colonel Milpökh, the main body by general Holtsche, the left wing by major Répássy, the reserve troops by general Teleki, the troops in the Southern region of Velence lake were commanded by colonel Mór Perczel. The management successfully scouted the area, occupied advantageous position and provided for the flank guards as well. The total headcount of the Hungarian troops exceeded 17 thousand.
According to the reports of the commander-in-chief Jellasics the headcount of the Croat and Imperial and Royal forces was 48 thousand without the reserve troops. The commanders of the division were generals Kempen, Schmiedl and Hartlieb, although the later one arrived only later, after the battle. Actually the Jellasics troops participated with a headcount of 22 thousand in the battle.
The Hungarian troops were able to protect their defense positions which is primarily due to the field artillery headed by József Mack and Károly Jungwirth. The national guards of Pest and Tolna took significant military actions under the command of Richard Guyon and the Perczel brothers, respectively, while Gyula Andrássy orderly officer successfully protected the right wing with a small unit.
The young Hungarian army managed to keep its positions, and achieved its defense objectives. The armed forces of Jellasics were not able to hold control of the road to the capital, did not reach their objective and during the three-day armistice they left the battlefield and to take their way to Vienna.
The losses suffered by the parties can be estimated only: according to the sources 50 - 50 soldiers died or were wounded.
The flank guards and the territorial army ardently supporting the Hungarian troops played a key ole in cutting the Jellasics troops from their reserves. On 3 October the population of Fehérvár disarmed the garrison troops left in Székesfehérvár. So they mamaged to prevent the invasion of the town by the reserve troops commanded by generals Roth and Philippovics, left alone by the commander-en-chief. The retreating troops were disarmed at Ozora on 7. October by the flank guards of Mór Perczel and Atúr Görgei, the territorial army of Counties Fejér and Tolna headed by Vilmos Csapó, after the defeats suffered at Báránd, Tác and Káloz. The victory of the Hungarian troops at Ozara completed the defeat of the invasion troops at Pákozd.
GPS: N47 13.050 E18 34.771